Introduction to Discussion Boards
Canvas provides an integrated system for class discussions, allowing both instructors and students to start and contribute to as many discussion topics as desired. Discussions allows for interactive communication between two or more people; users can participate in a conversation with an entire class or group.
Discussions can also be created as an assignment for grading purposes (and seamlessly integrated with the Canvas Gradebook), or simply serve as a forum for topical and current events. Discussions can also be created within student groups.
Discussion topics can be organized as focused or threaded discussions. Focused discussions only allow for two levels of nesting, the original post and subsequent replies. Threaded discussions allow for infinite levels of nesting. Focused discussions are relatively short-lived interactions, while threaded discussions allow replies within replies and may last for a longer period of time.
Discussion Board Guides
- How do I create a discussion as an instructor?
- How do I create a group discussion in a course?
- How do I publish or unpublish a discussion as an instructor?
- How do I edit a discussion in a course?
- How do I delay posting a discussion until a specified date in a course?
- How do I assign a graded discussion to everyone in a course?
- How do I assign a graded discussion to a course group?
- How do I create a peer review discussion?
- More Discussion Board Questions...