What is Zoom?
Zoom is an easy-to-use video conferencing tool that allows LJMU instructors to create a virtual classroom experience, record lectures and seminars, and is fully integrated with Canvas for a an accessible experience for both staff and students.
Instructors use their university Zoom account to schedule meetings from their Canvas course, and students enrolled in the course can join without needing to create an account. Meetings created via the institutional account will not be restricted to 40 minutes and up to 300 participants* can be included at a time.
Instructors will be able to see attendance reports and share meeting recordings with students.
Zoom offers a high quality video, audio, and wireless screen-sharing experience across multiple devices and operating systems and provides a seamless and simple to use integration within Canvas.
*if you need to run a teaching session with more than 300 users (up to 500), please request this via the helpdesk.
Zoom for Teaching & Learning
I have already used my LJMU email address for a Zoom Account
If you already have a Zoom account using your LJMU email, you will have the opportunity to change the email address associated with your existing account as your LJMU email can only be associated with the LJMU institutional account. More information.
Accessing Zoom for the First Time in Canvas
If you are accessing Zoom for the first time within your Canvas Course, you will need to authorise the app. You'll see this window, click Authorise to confirm.
Help and Support
You can access the help and support available in the zoom help centre: support.zoom.us. You'll find lots of useful guides and once you've logged in. Open a support chat with one of their experts, by clicking on the button that looks like the following image:
Alternatively if you need to contact the LJMU TEL team please log this via the helpdesk.
- How will I activate my LJMU Zoom account?
- My student is having difficulties accessing my Zoom session
- How to access Zoom in Canvas
- How do I invite non-LJMU participants to my Zoom session?
- Blog Post: Digital Student Support Workers in Canvas
- Guidance for Online Teaching Assistants
- I’m having connection issues in my Zoom meetings
- What features do I get with Zoom?
- How do I set up a Zoom meeting in Canvas?
- How to assign Alternative Hosts
- How do I share a Zoom session across more than one Canvas course?
- How do I copy a Zoom meeting invitation?
- How do I manage students in a Zoom session?
- How to allow students to share screen in a Zoom meeting
- Using Zoom with Canvas - Full FAQ
- Using Zoom on Mobile
- Waiting room settings
- Blog Post: Zoom, Why Webcams are Important
- Applying a Virtual Background
- How to sign out of Zoom
- How to update Zoom App
- How to use Zoom breakout rooms
- Canvas Groups to Zoom breakout rooms
- How to pre-assign breakout rooms in Zoom
- Blog Post: Tips for Using Breakout Rooms in Zoom
- Recording Canvas Zoom Meetings
- How to edit your Zoom recordings
- Sharing Zoom Recordings - Quick Guide
Advaced Zoom Guides
- How can I view attendance reports for Zoom teaching sessions?
- How can I create a poll
- Staff Guide: Live subtitles while using PowerPoint in Zoom
- Screen share functionality
Also see guidance for students.